Jump to Main Content
- Pittalis, Daniele; Carletti, Alberto; Ghiglieri, Giorgio; Celico, Fulvio
- Environmental earth sciences 2016 v.75 no.11 pp. 963
- aquifers; biogeochemistry; chemical composition; climatic factors; coastal plains; coasts; desertification; groundwater; intensive farming; irrigated farming; irrigation; irrigation water; issues and policy; pollutants; saline water; saltwater intrusion; seawater; soil properties; water quality; Italy; Sardinia
- ... Intensive agriculture can influence groundwater composition, aquifer biogeochemistry and soil properties; this is especially true in coastal areas where groundwater is the main source of irrigation water. Depending on the irrigation efficiency, the aquifers may suffer from pollutant contamination and salinization caused by the encroaching sea. Information about the chemical composition of the grou ...
- Lasagna, Manuela; De Luca, Domenico Antonio; Franchino, Elisa
- Environmental earth sciences 2016 v.75 no.11 pp. 961
- aquifers; denitrification; groundwater; hydraulic conductivity; isotope fractionation; nitrates; nitrogen; nonpoint source pollution; water quality; water table; Italy
- ... Currently, diffuse pollution by nitrate is considered one of the main causes of groundwater quality deterioration. Many methodologies have been suggested to map aquifer vulnerability to nitrate pollution; however, no standard method has yet been established. Many proposed methods only take into account the aquifer’s protection and do not consider the physical or chemical processes in groundwater. ...