Jump to Main Content
- Wyatt, Timon T.; Golovina, Elena A.; Leeuwen, Richard; Hallsworth, John E.; Wösten, Han A.B.; Dijksterhuis, Jan
- Environmental microbiology 2015 v.17 no.2 pp. 383-394
- Aspergillus fischeri; ascospores; dormancy; drying; electron paramagnetic resonance spectroscopy; fungi; germination; habitats; heat; heat tolerance; mannitol; models; oxidative stability; solutes; stress tolerance; temperature; trehalose; vegetative cells; vegetative growth; viscosity
- ... Fungal propagules survive stresses better than vegetative cells. Neosartorya fischeri, an Aspergillus teleomorph, forms ascospores that survive high temperatures or drying followed by heat. Not much is known about maturation and development of extreme stress resistance in fungal cells. This study provides a novel two‐step model for the acquisition of extreme stress resistance and entry into dorman ...
- Foflonker, Fatima; Price, Dana C.; Qiu, Huan; Palenik, Brian; Wang, Shuyi; Bhattacharya, Debashish
- Environmental microbiology 2015 v.17 no.2 pp. 412-426
- growth promotion; acetates; brackish water; fermentation; glucose; horizontal gene transfer; hydrologic cycle; surface water; multigene family; transporters; models; Chlorophyta; climate change; salt stress; salt tolerance; complement; salinity; stress response; environmental factors; urea; acetoin; microalgae
- ... An expected outcome of climate change is intensification of the global water cycle, which magnifies surface water fluxes, and consequently alters salinity patterns. It is therefore important to understand the adaptations and limits of microalgae to survive changing salinities. To this end, we sequenced the 13.5 Mbp genome of the halotolerant green alga Picochlorum SENEW3 (SE3) that was isolated fr ...