Jump to Main Content
- Turk‐Kubo, Kendra A.; Karamchandani, Muskan; Capone, Douglas G.; Zehr, Jonathan P.
- Environmental microbiology 2014 v.16 no.10 pp. 3095-3114
- phylotype, etc ; DNA; RNA; Trichodesmium; gamma-Proteobacteria; genes; microbial communities; models; nitrogen; nitrogen fixation; quantitative polymerase chain reaction; Show all 11 Subjects
- ... Results of recent modelling efforts imply denitrification‐influenced waters, such as those in the Eastern Tropical South Pacific (ETSP), may support high rates of biological nitrogen fixation (BNF), yet little is known about the N₂‐fixing microbial community in this region. Our characterization of the ETSP diazotrophic community along a gradient from upwelling‐influenced to oligotrophic waters did ...
- Zimmermann, Judith; Lott, Christian; Weber, Miriam; Ramette, Alban; Bright, Monika; Dubilier, Nicole; Petersen, Jillian M.
- Environmental microbiology 2014 v.16 no.12 pp. 3638-3656
- phylotype, etc ; bacteria; carbon; digestive system; endosymbionts; fluorescence in situ hybridization; genes; genetic variation; habitats; nutrition; oxidants; oxidation; phylogeny; ribosomal RNA; statistical analysis; sulfur; symbiosis; Mediterranean Sea; Show all 18 Subjects
- ... Vestimentiferan Tws colonize hydrothermal vents and cold seeps worldwide. They lack a digestive system and gain nutrition from endosymbiotic sulfur‐oxidizing bacteria. It is currently assumed that vestimentiferan Tws harbour only a single endosymbiont type. A few studies found indications for additional symbionts, but conclusive evidence for a multiple symbiosis is still missing. We investigated T ...