Jump to Main Content
- Chen, Yin; Dumont, Marc G.; McNamara, Niall P.; Chamberlain, Paul M.; Bodrossy, Levente; Stralis-Pavese, Nancy; Murrell, J. Colin
- Environmental microbiology 2008 v.10 no.2 pp. 446-459
- Methylocella, etc ; Calluna vulgaris; Methylocystis; community structure; fatty acids; gamma-Proteobacteria; genes; habitats; heathlands; messenger RNA; methane; methanotrophs; microarray technology; oxidation; peatlands; soil; soil sampling; United Kingdom; Show all 18 Subjects
- ... The active methanotroph community was investigated for the first time in heather (Calluna)-covered moorlands and Sphagnum/Eriophorum-covered UK peatlands. Direct extraction of mRNA from these soils facilitated detection of expression of methane monooxygenase genes, which revealed that particulate methane monooxygenase and not soluble methane monooxygenase was probably responsible for CH₄ oxidation ...
- Chen, Yin; Dumont, Marc G.; Neufeld, Josh D.; Bodrossy, Levente; Stralis-Pavese, Nancy; McNamara, Niall P.; Ostle, Nick; Briones, Maria J.I.; Murrell, J. Colin
- Environmental microbiology 2008 v.10 no.10 pp. 2609-2622
- Methylocella, etc ; DNA; DNA probes; DNA-directed DNA polymerase; Methylocystis; carbon; climate; denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis; enzymatic treatment; genomic libraries; metagenomics; methane; methane production; methanol; methanotrophs; multigene family; oxidation; peatlands; polypeptides; ribosomal RNA; soil; ultracentrifugation; England; Show all 23 Subjects
- ... Peatlands represent an enormous carbon reservoir and have a potential impact on the global climate because of the active methanogenesis and methanotrophy in these soils. Uncultivated methanotrophs from seven European peatlands were studied using a combination of molecular methods. Screening for methanotroph diversity using a particulate methane monooxygenase-based diagnostic gene array revealed th ...