Jump to Main Content
- Eagles-Smith, Collin A.; Ackerman, Joshua T.; De La Cruz, Susan E.W.; Takekawa, John Y.
- Environmental pollution 2009 v.157 no.7 pp. 1993-2002
- water pollution; estuaries; mercury; water birds; wild birds; bioaccumulation; foraging; wildlife habitats; trophic relationships; California
- ... We evaluated mercury (Hg) in five waterbird species representing three foraging guilds in San Francisco Bay, CA. Fish-eating birds (Forster's and Caspian terns) had the highest Hg concentrations in thier tissues, but concentrations in an invertebrate-foraging shorebird (black-necked stilt) were also elevated. Foraging habitat was important for Hg exposure as illustrated by within-guild differences ...
- Bindler, Richard; Renberg, Ingemar; Rydberg, Johan; Andrén, Thomas
- Environmental pollution 2009 v.157 no.7 pp. 2132-2141
- lakes; rivers; sediment contamination; water pollution; lead; mercury; cadmium; mining; metallurgy; atmospheric deposition; history; temporal variation; Sweden; Baltic Sea
- ... Metal pollution is viewed as a modern problem that began in the 19th century and accelerated through the 20th century; however, in many parts of the globe this view is wrong. Here, we studied past waterborne metal pollution in lake sediments from the Bergslagen region in central Sweden, one of many historically important mining regions in Europe. With a focus on lead (including isotopes), we trace ...