Jump to Main Content
- Huq, Fahmida; Obida, Muvhulawa; Bornman, Riana; Di Lenardo, Thomas; Chevrier, Jonathan
- Environmental research 2020 v.185 pp. 109366
- Africans; DDE (pesticide); DDT (pesticide); blood serum; caregivers; chest; children; cohort studies; confidence interval; dust; dust mites; exercise; food allergies; immune system; infants; malaria; maternal exposure; mothers; odds ratio; questionnaires; regression analysis; spraying; South Africa
- ... Dichlorodiphenyl trichloroethane (DDT) is an organochlorine insecticide that is banned internationally except for use as part of Indoor Residual Spraying (IRS) programs to control malaria. Although animal studies show that DDT and its breakdown product dichlorodiphenyl dichloroethylene (DDE) affect the immune system and may cause allergies, no studies have examined this question in populations whe ...
- Lebeaux, Rebecca M.; Doherty, Brett T.; Gallagher, Lisa G.; Zoeller, R. Thomas; Hoofnagle, Andrew N.; Calafat, Antonia M.; Karagas, Margaret R.; Yolton, Kimberly; Chen, Aimin; Lanphear, Bruce P.; Braun, Joseph M.; Romano, Megan E.
- Environmental research 2020 v.185 pp. 109395
- Bayesian theory; autoantibodies; blood serum; children; cohort studies; iodide peroxidase; iodine deficiency; models; mothers; perfluorohexane sulfonic acid; perfluorooctane sulfonic acid; perfluorooctanoic acid; pregnancy; pregnant women; regression analysis; sulfonic acids; thyrotropin; triiodothyronine; Ohio
- ... Per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) are ubiquitous. Previous studies have found associations between PFAS and thyroid hormones in maternal and cord sera, but the results are inconsistent. To further address this research question, we used mixture modeling to assess the associations with individual PFAS, interactions among PFAS chemicals, and the overall mixture.We collected data through the ...