Jump to Main Content
- Ashley-Martin, Jillian; Dodds, Linda; Arbuckle, Tye E.; Lanphear, Bruce; Muckle, Gina; Bouchard, Maryse F.; Fisher, Mandy; Asztalos, Elizabeth; Foster, Warren; Kuhle, Stefan
- Environmental research 2019 v.179
- Canadians; World Health Organization; arsenic; blood; body mass index; boys; cadmium; child development; childhood; environmental monitoring; fetal development; girls; lead; mercury; models; pregnant women; preschool children; regression analysis; toxicity
- ... Fetal exposure to some toxic metals has been associated with reduced fetal growth, but the impact of contemporary, low-level metals on anthropometric measures in childhood is not well understood. Our primary objective was to quantify associations between childhood levels of toxic metals and concurrently measured body mass index (BMI) in a population of Canadian preschool-aged children.We collected ...
- Barn, Prabjit; Gombojav, Enkhjargal; Ochir, Chimedsuren; Boldbaatar, Buyantushig; Beejin, Bolor; Naidan, Gerel; Galsuren, Jargalsaikhan; Legtseg, Bayarkhuu; Byambaa, Tsogtbaatar; Hutcheon, Jennifer A.; Janes, Craig; Janssen, Patricia A.; Lanphear, Bruce P.; McCandless, Lawrence C.; Takaro, Tim K.; Venners, Scott A.; Webster, Glenys M.; Palmer, Christopher D.; Parsons, Patrick J.; Allen, Ryan W.
- Environmental research 2019 v.179 pp. 108830
- air; air cleaners; air pollution; blood; cadmium; child development; coal; combustion; emissions; fetal development; head circumference; heat; heating systems; low birth weight; models; observational studies; pregnancy; pregnant women; premature birth; randomized clinical trials; regression analysis; residential housing; small for gestational age; smoke; Mongolia
- ... Gestational cadmium exposure may impair fetal growth. Coal smoke has largely been unexplored as a source of cadmium exposure.We investigated the relationship between gestational cadmium exposure and fetal growth, and assessed coal smoke as a potential source of airborne cadmium, among non-smoking pregnant women in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, where coal combustion in home heating stoves is a major sourc ...