Jump to Main Content
- Scruggs, Caroline E.; Ortolano, Leonard
- Environmental science & policy 2011 v.14 no.6 pp. 605-614
- business enterprises; chemical hazards; environmental health; environmental science; humans; ingredients; interviews; issues and policy; models; risk; toxic substances; trade; United States
- ... This paper provides a firsthand view of challenges faced by 20 multinational consumer product companies in obtaining needed information about chemicals used as product inputs, and highlights the strategies these companies have voluntarily adopted in an attempt to avoid or reduce hazardous chemicals in their products. This information may be useful to policy makers in considering reform of U.S. che ...
- Macdonald, Ewan A.; Collins, Murray; Johnson, Paul J.; Clayton, Lynn M.; Malhi, Yadvinder; Fisher, Joshua B.; Milner-Gulland, E.J.; Macdonald, David W.
- Environmental science & policy 2011 v.14 no.6 pp. 697-708
- carbon; case studies; community development; conservation areas; deforestation; development projects; emissions; forests; geographic information systems; interviews; issues and policy; national parks; remote sensing; stakeholders; surveys; wildlife management; Indonesia
- ... Discussions on how to reduce carbon emissions from deforestation and degradation have prompted scrutiny of methods for measuring rates of forest loss, as well as discussion of the role of protected area (PA) status in reducing tropical deforestation. This study employs a range of techniques including GIS analyses and local stakeholder interviews to examine the effectiveness of three comparable PAs ...