Jump to Main Content
- Macdonald, Ewan A.; Collins, Murray; Johnson, Paul J.; Clayton, Lynn M.; Malhi, Yadvinder; Fisher, Joshua B.; Milner-Gulland, E.J.; Macdonald, David W.
- Environmental science & policy 2011 v.14 no.6 pp. 697-708
- carbon; case studies; community development; conservation areas; deforestation; development projects; emissions; forests; geographic information systems; interviews; issues and policy; national parks; remote sensing; stakeholders; surveys; wildlife management; Indonesia
- ... Discussions on how to reduce carbon emissions from deforestation and degradation have prompted scrutiny of methods for measuring rates of forest loss, as well as discussion of the role of protected area (PA) status in reducing tropical deforestation. This study employs a range of techniques including GIS analyses and local stakeholder interviews to examine the effectiveness of three comparable PAs ...
- Collins, Murray; Macdonald, Ewan A.; Clayton, Lynn; Dunggio, Iswan; Macdonald, David W.; Milner-Gulland, E.J.
- Environmental science & policy 2011 v.14 no.6 pp. 709-718
- biodiversity; carbon; case studies; climate change; conservation areas; deforestation; ecosystem services; ecosystems; emissions; humans; issues and policy; rural communities; tropical forests; viability; wildlife management; Indonesia
- ... Climate change threatens ecosystems and human society, with tropical deforestation contributing a fifth of anthropogenic carbon emissions. The proposed REDD mechanism will provide compensation for tropical forest nations to reduce deforestation, and potentially also co-benefits for rural communities and biodiversity. The success of REDD implementation will be partially determined by domestic insti ...