Jump to Main Content
- Stropoli, Santino J.; Miner, Corina R.; Hill, Daniel R.; Elrod, Matthew J.
- Environmental science & technology 2018 v.53 no.1 pp. 176-184
- Lewis bases; aerosols; isoprene; models; nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy; oligomerization; reaction mechanisms; stereochemistry
- ... Extensive studies of secondary organic aerosol (SOA) formation have identified isoprene epoxydiol (IEPOX) intermediates as key species in the formation of isoprene-derived SOA. Recent work has suggested that isoprene-derived dimers and oligomers may constitute a significant fraction of SOA, but a mechanism for the formation of such abundant SOA components has yet to be established. The potential f ...
- Marrero-Ortiz, Wilmarie; Hu, Min; Du, Zhuofei; Ji, Yuemeng; Wang, Yujue; Guo, Song; Lin, Yun; Gomez-Hermandez, Mario; Peng, Jianfei; Li, Yixin; Secrest, Jeremiah; Zamora, Misti L.; Wang, Yuan; An, Taicheng; Zhang, Renyi
- Environmental science & technology 2018 v.53 no.1 pp. 117-126
- Lewis bases; absorption; aerosols; carbon; chemical composition; dimethylamine; heterocyclic nitrogen compounds; mass spectrometry; methylamine; optical properties; solar radiation; trimethylamine; uncertainty; wavelengths
- ... Brown Carbon (BrC) aerosols scatter and absorb solar radiation, directly affecting the Earth’s radiative budget. However, considerable uncertainty exists concerning the chemical mechanism leading to BrC formation and their optical properties. In this work, BrC particles were prepared from mixtures of small α-dicarbonyls (glyoxal and methylglyoxal) and amines (methylamine, dimethylamine, and trimet ...