Jump to Main Content
- Chen, Gongde; Hanukovich, Sergei; Chebeir, Michelle; Christopher, Phillip; Liu, Haizhou
- Environmental science & technology 2018 v.53 no.1 pp. 316-324
- ammonia; carbon dioxide; carbonates; denitrification; dissolved organic matter; formates; free radicals; gases; groundwater; hydroxyl radicals; irradiation; nitrates; nitric oxide; nitrites; nitrogen; nitrogen cycle; nitrous oxide; organic carbon; pH; photolysis; stoichiometry; total dissolved nitrogen; ultraviolet radiation; water resources; water treatment
- ... Removal of excess nitrate is critical to balance the nitrogen cycle in aquatic systems. This study investigated a novel denitrification process by tailoring photochemistry of nitrate with formate. Under UV light irradiation, short-lived radicals (i.e., HO•, NO₂•, and CO₃•–) generated from nitrate photolysis partially oxidized formate to highly reductive formate radical (CO₂•–). CO₂•– further reduc ...
- Zhu, Shishu; Li, Xiaojie; Kang, Jian; Duan, Xiaoguang; Wang, Shaobin
- Environmental science & technology 2018 v.53 no.1 pp. 307-315
- catalysts; electron paramagnetic resonance spectroscopy; free radical scavengers; free radicals; ions; manganese; manganese dioxide; minerals; nanorods; oxidation; oxygen production; pH; phenol; remediation; singlet oxygen; solvents; wastewater
- ... Minerals and transitional metal oxides of earth-abundant elements are desirable catalysts for in situ chemical oxidation in environmental remediation. However, catalytic activation of peroxydisulfate (PDS) by manganese oxides was barely investigated. In this study, one-dimension manganese dioxides (α- and β-MnO₂) were discovered as effective PDS activators among the diverse manganese oxides for se ...