Jump to Main Content
- McMahon, Peter B.; Belitz, Kenneth; Reddy, James E.; Johnson, Tyler D.
- Environmental science & technology 2018 v.53 no.1 pp. 29-38
- ammonium; fertilizers; groundwater; humans; manganese; nitrates; nitrogen; organic carbon; oxidation; pH; people; rivers; soil; water table; wells; United States
- ... Chemical data from 43 334 wells were used to examine the role of land surface–soil–aquifer connections in producing elevated manganese concentrations (>300 μg/L) in United States (U.S.) groundwater. Elevated concentrations of manganese and dissolved organic carbon (DOC) in groundwater are associated with shallow, anoxic water tables and soils enriched in organic carbon, suggesting soil-derived DOC ...
- Chen, Gongde; Hanukovich, Sergei; Chebeir, Michelle; Christopher, Phillip; Liu, Haizhou
- Environmental science & technology 2018 v.53 no.1 pp. 316-324
- ammonia; carbon dioxide; carbonates; denitrification; dissolved organic matter; formates; free radicals; gases; groundwater; hydroxyl radicals; irradiation; nitrates; nitric oxide; nitrites; nitrogen; nitrogen cycle; nitrous oxide; organic carbon; pH; photolysis; stoichiometry; total dissolved nitrogen; ultraviolet radiation; water resources; water treatment
- ... Removal of excess nitrate is critical to balance the nitrogen cycle in aquatic systems. This study investigated a novel denitrification process by tailoring photochemistry of nitrate with formate. Under UV light irradiation, short-lived radicals (i.e., HO•, NO₂•, and CO₃•–) generated from nitrate photolysis partially oxidized formate to highly reductive formate radical (CO₂•–). CO₂•– further reduc ...