Jump to Main Content
- Brandt, Adam R., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Environmental science & technology 2018 v.52 no.15 pp. 8947-8953
- Monte Carlo method; aircraft; emissions; ethane; image analysis; methane; methane production; surveys; North Dakota
- ... We performed an infrared optical gas imaging (OGI) survey by helicopter of hydrocarbon emissions in the Bakken formation of North Dakota. One year after an earlier survey of 682 well pads in September of 2014, the same helicopter crew resurveyed 353 well pads in 2015 to examine the persistence of emissions. Twenty-one newly producing well pads were added in the same sampling blocks. An instrumente ...
- Brandt, Adam R., et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Environmental science & technology 2018 v.52 no.4 pp. 2368-2374
- cameras; detection limit; environmental science; greenhouse gases; image analysis; issues and policy; methane; natural gas; probability; surveys; trade
- ... Methane, a key component of natural gas, is a potent greenhouse gas. A key feature of recent methane mitigation policies is the use of periodic leak detection surveys, typically done with optical gas imaging (OGI) technologies. The most common OGI technology is an infrared camera. In this work, we experimentally develop detection probability curves for OGI-based methane leak detection under differ ...