Jump to Main Content
- Carrera, Jesús, et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Environmental science and pollution research international 2014 v.21 no.20 pp. 11832-11843
- aerobic conditions; aquifers; caffeine; clay; composts; dissolved organic carbon; groundwater recharge; ibuprofen; iron oxides; pollutants; sand; sorption; sulfamethoxazole; trimethoprim; unsaturated conditions; vegetables; water quality
- ... Artificial recharge improves several water quality parameters, but has only minor effects on recalcitrant pollutants. To improve the removal of these pollutants, we added a reactive barrier at the bottom of an infiltration basin. This barrier contained aquifer sand, vegetable compost, and clay and was covered with iron oxide dust. The goal of the compost was to sorb neutral compounds and release d ...
- Carrera, Jesús, et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Environmental science and pollution research international 2013 v.20 no.11 pp. 7837-7853
- acid mine drainage; acidity; calcite; coal; hydroxides; limestone; metals; pH; porosity; remediation; rivers; sand; wood shavings; Portugal; Spain
- ... The Iberian Pyrite Belt (IPB), SW Spain and Portugal, contains about 100 abandoned mine wastes and galleries that release acid mine drainages (AMD) to the Tinto and Odiel rivers. In situ passive remediation technologies are especially suitable to remediate the drainages of these orphan sites. However, traditional remediation systems, designed for coal mines, have been demonstrated inefficient to t ...