Jump to Main Content
- Polder, M.D.; Hulzebos, E.M.; Jager, D.T.
- Environmental toxicology and chemistry 1998 v.17 no.5 pp. 962-968
- air; bioaccumulation factor; cattle; exposure pathways; herbaceous plants; human health; humans; leaves; models; organic compounds; organic matter; partition coefficients; prediction; risk; risk assessment
- ... This literature study is performed to support the implementation of two models in a risk assessment system for the evaluation of chemicals and their risk for human health and the environment (Uniform System for the Evaluation of Substances [USES] 1.0). One of the exposure pathways for humans and cattle is the uptake of chemicals by plants. In this risk assessment system the transfer of gaseous org ...
- Thompson, P.L.; Ramer, L.A.; Guffey, A.P.; Schnoor, J.L.
- Environmental toxicology and chemistry 1998 v.17 no.5 pp. 902-906
- abscission; chlorosis; hybrids; hydroponics; leaves; transpiration; trees; trinitrotoluene
- ... This article discusses the effects of various concentrations of the explosive 2,4,6-trinitrotoluene (TNT) on the transpiration of hybrid poplar trees growing in hydroponic media. Transpiration was measured daily by gravimetric means. The rapid removal of TNT from hydroponic solutions was a result of plant uptake and required a daily dosage of TNT to ensure a relatively constant exposure over time. ...