Jump to Main Content
- MYKKÄNEN, A. K.; PÖSÖ, A. R.; McGOWAN, C. M.; McKANE, S. A.
- Equine veterinary journal 2010 v.42 Suppl s38 pp. 161-166
- Finnhorse, etc ; Standardbred; Thoroughbred; Western blotting; blood sampling; cell membranes; erythrocytes; lactic acid; monocarboxylic acid transporters; racehorses; racing performance; Show all 11 Subjects
- ... Reasons for performing study: In exercising horses, up to 50% of blood lactate is taken up into red blood cells (RBCs). Lactate transporter proteins MCT1, MCT2 and CD147 (an ancillary protein for MCT1) are expressed in the equine RBC membrane. In Standardbreds (SB), lactate transport activity is bimodally distributed and correlates with the amount of MCT1 and CD147. About 75% of SB studied have hi ...
- Ruohoniemi, M.; Mäkelä, O.; Eskonen, T.
- Equine veterinary journal 2004 v.36 no.2 pp. 143-148
- Finnhorse, etc ; bone formation; cartilage; feet; horses; lameness; locomotion; nerve tissue; radiography; scintigraphy; trotting; Show all 11 Subjects
- ... Reasons for performing study: Research on the clinical significance of ossification of the cartilages of the foot has been limited, despite the common nature of the condition and conflicting reports in previous literature. Hypothesis: Some radiographic features in the ossification of the cartilages, such as incomplete fusion lines between separate centres of ossification and the ossified base, are ...