Jump to Main Content
- Zhu, Wei; Liu, Kui; Wang, Xue-De
- Euphytica 2008 v.164 no.1 pp. 283-291
- heterosis; plant growth; hybrids; lint cotton; Gossypium hirsutum; leaf area index; fiber quality; crop yield; agronomic traits; photosynthesis; plant morphology; leaves
- ... Leaf shape is an important factor affecting canopy structure, photosynthetic characteristics, and yield. Introducing okra leaf shape is considered an important strategy in cotton heterosis breeding. The objective of the study was to evaluate the heterosis in okra leaf cotton hybrid F₁s, which were developed by crossing two sterile near isolines and three restorer near isolines. A normal leaf check ...
- Gibson, Richard W.; Byamukama, Emmanuel; Mpembe, Isaac; Kayongo, James; Mwanga, Robert O. M.
- Euphytica 2008 v.159 no.1-2 pp. 217-228
- germplasm releases; cultivars; on-farm research; sweet potatoes; landraces; seedlings; early development; clones; Ipomoea batatas; agronomic traits; plant morphology; plant genetic resources; crop yield; germplasm screening; pest resistance; Uganda
- ... Scientists and farmers in Uganda identified preferred sweet potato: (1) varieties through participatory varietal selection (PVS); and (2) new clones from seedling populations through a participatory plant breeding (PPB) approach. During these two processes, farmers identified 51 attributes of their landraces and of released varieties and used 21 criteria to select clones from amongst the seedling ...