Jump to Main Content
- Atkinson, Wendy; Downer, Pamela; Lever, Michael; Chambers, Stephen T.; George, Peter M.
- European journal of nutrition 2007 v.46 no.8 pp. 446-452
- apple juice; betaine; creatinine; cross-over studies; excretion; homocysteine; humans; ingestion; males; orange juice; proline; rats; urine; volunteers
- ... Background Proline betaine (PB), a glycine betaine (GB) analogue found in citrus foods, increases urinary GB loss and plasma total homocysteine (tHcy) concentrations in rats. Its presence in human plasma is associated with increased GB excretion. Aim To compare the effects of dietary levels of PB on GB excretion, and on plasma tHcy and GB concentrations in healthy volunteers. Methods In a randomiz ...
- Ulrich-Merzenich, Gudrun; Zeitler, Heike; Vetter, Hans; Bhonde, Ramesh R.
- European journal of nutrition 2007 v.46 no.8 pp. 431-438
- adhesion; apoptosis; atherosclerosis; caspase-3; diabetes; endothelial cells; glucose; humans; hyperglycemia; low density lipoprotein; protective effect; taurine; umbilical cord
- ... Background Endothelial dysfunction, common to diabetes and cardiovascular diseases, is an early step in the development of atherosclerosis and diabetic angiopathies. Deficiencies of taurine have been related to diabetes and cardiovascular diseases. Aims of the study We investigated whether taurine provides protective action against endothelial dysfunction induced by hyperglycemia and/or oxidized l ...