Jump to Main Content
- Klüppel, André; Mai, Carsten
- European journal of wood and wood products 2018 v.76 no.3 pp. 1029-1035
- Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy; Pinus sylvestris; cell walls; crystals; delignification; drying; lignin; nanopores; photolysis; seawater; tensile strength; ultraviolet radiation; weathering; wood
- ... This study examines individual and interactive effects of seawater wetting and UV irradiation on the tensile strength of Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris) micro-veneers. In a first experiment, veneers were cyclically wetted with demineralized water or synthetic seawater and dried at 40 °C. In a second experiment, veneers were exposed to artificial weathering including UV irradiation and spray of seawa ...
- Korte, H.; Koch, G.; Krause, K.C.; Koddenberg, T.; Siemers, S.
- European journal of wood and wood products 2018 v.76 no.3 pp. 979-988
- Fagus; Machaerium; Picea; air; cell walls; deformation; friction; lignin; micro-computed tomography; softwood; temperature; wood welding
- ... Softwoods can be nailed with high density solid wood like Santos Rosewood (Machaerium scleroxylon) or nails made of densified laminated beech wood composite by hammering or shooting, for example with air nail guns, without pre-drilling. Shooting with about 30 m/s causes friction between nail surface and softwood matrix, heating up the interface to temperatures high enough to soften lignin. Re-cond ...