Jump to Main Content
- Birbilis, Dimitris; Kakavas, Konstantinos; Chavenetidou, Marina
- European journal of wood and wood products 2018 v.76 no.4 pp. 1353-1358
- Castanea; adults; burl wood; coppicing; earlywood; felling; forests; juvenile wood; latewood; microscopy; orchards; pith; regression analysis; statistical models; trees; wood; xylem vessels
- ... This work includes observations on chestnut logs at woodcutting areas, measurements of some growth characteristics and observations under microscope of chestnut wood cross sections with ring shakes. Some types of ring shakes were developed in logs with abnormalities, such as forking, double-pith, burls, pith eccentricity and elongated cross sections. The ring shake defect mainly occurred on logs f ...
- Hamada, Joël; Pétrissans, Anélie; Ruelle, Julien; Mothe, Frédéric; Colin, Francis; Pétrissans, Mathieu; Gérardin, Philippe
- European journal of wood and wood products 2018 v.76 no.6 pp. 1669-1676
- Abies alba; chemical analysis; earlywood; forest management; heartwood; heat transfer; heat treatment; interspecific variation; intraspecific variation; juveniles; kilns; latewood; sapwood; sawdust; thermal degradation; thermal stability; thermogravimetry; trees; wood; wood quality
- ... Most of the defects affecting heat-treated wood quality are often attributed to heterogeneous heat transfers in industrial kilns. Even if interspecific variability of wood has been reported to affect thermal degradation of the material, little has been reported on the effects of intraspecific variability. The aim of this work was to study the effect of intraspecific variability of silver fir (Abie ...