Jump to Main Content
- Sharaf EL-Deen, Shaimaa Ahmed; Brakat, Reham Mustafa; Mohamed, Asmaa Shams El Dein
- Experimental parasitology 2017 v.178 pp. 51-59
- Schistosoma mansoni; artichokes; death; diameter; drug therapy; eggs; enzymes; fibrosis; granuloma; hepatoprotective effect; humans; leaf extracts; liver; liver cirrhosis; mice; parasites; praziquantel; schistosomiasis; staining
- ... Schistosomiasis is the second most common human parasitic disease worldwide. It is responsible for 300000 deaths per year. Liver fibrosis is the main pathology of schistosomiasis and its complications are the major cause of death in infected cases. Unfortunately, the therapeutic dose of praziquantel (PZQ) – the main drug treatment – doesn't markedly affect fibrosis. In the present study, antiparas ...
- Steverding, Dietmar; Rushworth, Stuart A.
- Experimental parasitology 2017 v.178 pp. 45-50
- DNA damage; Trypanosoma brucei; additive effect; adverse effects; blood-brain barrier; bloodstream forms; brain; cell cycle checkpoints; clinical trials; drug therapy; drugs; humans; in vivo studies; infectious diseases; parasites; pharmacokinetics; toxicity; trypanocides; trypanosomiasis
- ... Sleeping sickness is an infectious disease that is caused by the protozoan parasite Trypanosoma brucei. The second stage of the disease is characterised by the parasites entering the brain. It is therefore important that sleeping sickness therapies are able to cross the blood-brain barrier. At present, only three medications for chemotherapy of the second stage of the disease are available. As the ...