Jump to Main Content
- Sheehama, Jacobina T.; Mukakalisa, Celine; Amakali, Theopolina; Uusiku, Lydia N.; Hans, Renate H.; Nott, Karen; Nott, Amber; Louw, Stefan
- Flavour and fragrance journal 2019 v.34 no.4 pp. 241-251
- 2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl; Candida albicans; Commiphora; Escherichia coli; Klebsiella; Staphylococcus aureus; alpha-pinene; antimicrobial properties; antioxidant activity; beta-pinene; biofilm; cosmetics; detergents; essential oils; flame ionization; gas chromatography-mass spectrometry; heptane; industry; ingredients; inhibitory concentration 50; minimum inhibitory concentration; oils; perfumes; quality control; steam distillation; women; Namibia
- ... The resin of the plant Commiphora wildii Merxm. (omumbiri) is traditionally used by Ovahimba women (Kunene, Namibia) as the main ingredient for their perfume. Although essential oil produced from the resin by steam distillation is sold commercially, its detailed chemical composition and biological properties are not known. Knowledge on the potential antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of C. w ...
- Luís, Ângelo; Sousa, Sónia; Wackerlig, Judith; Dobusch, Daniel; Duarte, Ana Paula; Pereira, Luísa; Domingues, Fernanda
- Flavour and fragrance journal 2019 v.34 no.4 pp. 260-270
- Acinetobacter baumannii; Illicium verum; animal pathogens; anise; anti-infective agents; anti-inflammatory activity; antibacterial properties; antibiotic resistance; antioxidant activity; bacteremia; bacteria; biofilm; cooking; essential oils; free radicals; ingredients; lipid peroxidation; medicine; meningitis; plankton; pneumonia; polystyrenes; protein denaturation; public health; quorum sensing; screening; urinary tract; virulent strains
- ... The increased resistance of pathogenic bacteria to multiple antimicrobial agents is becoming a significant public health threat. For many pathogenic bacteria there are already limited or no effective antimicrobials available to treat the infections caused by them. Acinetobacter baumannii is a Gram‐negative, biofilm‐forming, nonmotile coccobacillus and a major human pathogen causing hospital‐acquir ...