Jump to Main Content
- Einbond, Linda S.; Reynertson, Kurt A.; Luo, Xiao-Dong; Basile, Margaret J.; Kennelly, Edward J.
- Food chemistry 2004 v.84 no.1 pp. 23-28
- Averrhoa carambola; Chrysophyllum cainito; Eugenia uniflora; Plinia cauliflora; anthocyanins; antioxidant activity; antioxidants; ascorbic acid; fruits
- ... The edible fruits of 12 plants were extracted in methanol and subjected to solvent-solvent partitioning to yield three fractions, hexane, ethyl acetate, and aqueous. The semi-purified aqueous fractions were separated over Diaion HP-20SS resin to remove sugars and ascorbic acid. These fractions were then screened for antioxidant activity using the 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl assay. Nine of the se ...
- Garcı́a-Alonso, Marı́a; Pascual-Teresa, Sonia de; Santos-Buelga, Celestino; Rivas-Gonzalo, Julián C.
- Food chemistry 2004 v.84 no.1 pp. 13-18
- antioxidant activity; fruits; thiobarbituric acid-reactive substances; vitamin E; water-soluble vitamins
- ... Twenty-eight different fruits were analysed for antioxidant activities using two different methods, one that determines the inhibition of ascorbate/iron-induced peroxidation of phosphatidylcholine, by means of thiobarbituric acid-reactive substances (TBARS) measurement, and another that evaluates the scavenging of the radical cation of 2,2′-azinobis (3-ethyl-benzothiazoline-6-sulphonate) (ABTS) re ...