Jump to Main Content
- Kruger, Johanita
- Food chemistry 2016 v.205 pp. 9-13
- staple foods, etc ; corn; corn meal; digestion; human cell lines; iron; models; nutrient deficiencies; pH; phytic acid; socioeconomics; zinc; Sub-Saharan Africa; Show all 13 Subjects
- ... While replacing electrolytic iron with NaFeEDTA in multi-micronutrient fortification-mixes is a popular option, there is no information about the effect on the iron and zinc availabilities in African staple foods. This study evaluated the effects of adding a multi-micronutrient fortification-mix, with no iron, electrolytic iron or NaFeEDTA on the availabilities of iron and zinc from thick and ferm ...
- Liang, Jianfen; Han, Bei-Zhong; Nout, M.J. Robert; Hamer, Robert J.
- Food chemistry 2008 v.110 no.4 pp. 821-828
- staple foods, etc ; soaking; seed germination; fermentation; phytic acid; in vitro studies; solubility; zinc; brown rice; food analysis; food composition; nutrient availability; food processing; food processing quality; Show all 14 Subjects
- ... Rice is an important staple food in Asian countries. In rural areas it is also a major source of micronutrients. Unfortunately, the bioavailability of minerals, e.g. zinc from rice, is low because it is present as an insoluble complex with food components such as phytic acid. We investigated the effects of soaking, germination and fermentation with an aim to reduce the content of phytic acid, whil ...