Jump to Main Content
- Grabmüller, Melanie; Cachée, Philipp; Madea, Burkhard; Courts, Cornelius
- Forensic science international 2016 v.258 pp. 11-18
- DNA; DNA fingerprinting; blood; forensic sciences; genetic analysis; microRNA
- ... When a firearm projectile hits a biological target a spray of biological material (e.g. blood and tissue) is ejected from the entrance wound and propelled back into the direction of the firearm. This phenomenon has been termed ‘backspatter’ and if backspattered biological material reaches the firearm on its backward trajectory it may persist on and be recovered from the firearm's inside surfaces. ...
- Schlenker, Andrew; Grimble, Katelyn; Azim, Arani; Owen, Rebecca; Hartman, Dadna
- Forensic science international 2016 v.258 pp. 1-10
- DNA; DNA fingerprinting; blood; forensic sciences; humans; medicine
- ... The DNA identification of decomposed human remains for coronial investigations at the Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine routinely requires the retrieval and processing of a bone sample obtained from the deceased. Bone is a difficult sample type to work with as it requires surgical removal from the deceased, refrigerated storage, and additional processing steps prior to DNA analysis in compa ...