Jump to Main Content
- Day, Charles R., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Forensic science international 2017 v.280 pp. 233-244
- Calliphora vicina; Calliphora vomitoria; Lucilia sericata; adults; age determination; entomologists; forensic entomology; forensic sciences; gas chromatography-mass spectrometry; hatching; humans; hydrocarbons; imagos; insect cuticle; larvae; neural networks; principal component analysis
- ... Blowflies (Diptera: Calliphoridae) are forensically important as they are known to be one of the first to colonise human remains. The larval stage is typically used to assist a forensic entomologists with adult flies rarely used as they are difficult to age because they remain morphologically similar once they have gone through the initial transformation upon hatching. However, being able to age t ...
- Day, Charles R., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Forensic science international 2016 v.268 pp. 81-91
- Calliphora vicina; Calliphora vomitoria; gas chromatography-mass spectrometry; hydrocarbons; larvae; multivariate analysis; neural networks; principal component analysis; pupariation
- ... Cuticular hydrocarbons were extracted daily from the larvae of two closely related blowflies Calliphora vicina and Calliphora vomitoria (Diptera: Calliphoridae). The hydrocarbons were then analysed using Gas Chromatography–Mass Spectrometry (GC–MS), with the aim of observing changes within their chemical profiles in order to determine the larval age. The hydrocarbons were examined daily for each s ...