Jump to Main Content
- Kitenberga, Mara; Drobyshev, Igor; Elferts, Didzis; Matisons, Roberts; Adamovics, Andis; Katrevics, Juris; Niklasson, Mats; Jansons, Aris
- Forest ecology and management 2019 v.441 pp. 192-201
- climate; fire history; forest dynamics; forest fires; forests; humans; landscapes; national parks; prescribed burning; Baltic Sea; Latvia
- ... Fire has been shown to shape successional pathways and dynamics of forest vegetation. However, its role in European hemiboreal forests remains poorly understood. Here we provide the first annually resolved reconstruction of fire history from the Eastern Baltic Sea region, developed in the pine-dominated landscape of Slitere National Park (SNP), northwestern Latvia, over the last 250 years. Our res ...
- Dunn, Christopher J.; O'Connor, Christopher D.; Reilly, Matthew J.; Calkin, Dave E.; Thompson, Matthew P.
- Forest ecology and management 2019 v.441 pp. 202-214
- business enterprises; death; decision making; empirical models; fire fighters; forests; inventories; land management; landscapes; remote sensing; risk; risk assessment; risk management; snags; space and time; wildfires; wildland fire management
- ... Researchers and managers increasingly recognize enterprise risk management as critical to addressing contemporary fire management challenges. Quantitative wildfire risk assessments contribute by parsing and mapping potentially contradictory positive and negative fire effects. However, these assessments disregard risks to fire responders because they only address social and ecological resources and ...