Jump to Main Content
- Rochelmeyer, Ellen; Di Stefano, Julian; Dorph, Annalie; Swan, Matthew
- Forest ecology and management 2019 v.441 pp. 215-228
- biodiversity; fauna; fuel loading; fuels; fuels (fire ecology); habitats; humans; landscapes; net primary productivity; prediction; prescribed burning; wildfires; Australia
- ... Prescribed fire is often applied with the goal of reducing fuel loads and lessening the impact of future wildfires on humans. As fuel represents habitat for some animal species, fuel reduction treatments are likely to affect species’ access to resources. Understanding the interrelationships between fuel, habitat and animal occurrence will help managers of flammable landscapes meet the dual objecti ...
- Sagra, J.; Moya, D.; Plaza-Álvarez, P.A.; Lucas-Borja, M.E.; González-Romero, J.; De las Heras, J.; Alfaro-Sánchez, R.; Ferrandis, P.
- Forest ecology and management 2019 v.441 pp. 253-261
- Pinus halepensis; Pinus nigra; Pinus pinaster; coniferous forests; fire prevention; forest management; fuel loading; fuels (fire ecology); geographical distribution; germination; habitats; natural regeneration; planning; prescribed burning; provenance; seeds; sowing; survival rate; wildfires
- ... Prescribed fires are becoming more widely used forest management tool to reduce both fuel load for fire prevention and high-severity wildfires. However, alterations to site conditions and influence on the natural regeneration of these fires in Mediterranean pine forests are still poorly known. Our study investigates how using prescribed fires before or after natural pine seed release could influen ...