Jump to Main Content
- Uri, Veiko; Aosaar, Jürgen; Varik, Mats; Becker, Hardo; Ligi, Karli; Padari, Allar; Kanal, Arno; Lõhmus, Krista
- Forest ecology and management 2014 v.327 pp. 106-117
- stemwood, etc ; Alnus incana; biomass production; branches; carbon; carbon sequestration; carbon sinks; chronosequences; forest ecosystems; forestry; harvesting; land use; middle-aged adults; nitrogen; soil pH; topsoil; trees; Estonia; Show all 18 Subjects
- ... In the present study the chronosequence approach was applied to the analysis of the dynamics of the growth of 2–45-year-old grey alder stands (Alnus incana) growing at fertile sites as well as the dynamics of carbon (C) and nitrogen (N) accumulation in woody biomass and in the soil. A new yield table was elaborated for natural grey alder stands growing at fertile sites. The average growing stock a ...
- Lucas, Richard W.; Holmström, Hampus; Lämås, Tomas
- Forest ecology and management 2014 v.325 pp. 26-36
- stemwood, etc ; bark; branches; calcium; cations; chemical bases; databases; decision support systems; forest ecosystems; forest soils; forests; intensive forestry; issues and policy; leaves; logging; magnesium; mineral soils; models; natural resources conservation; potassium; reindeer; renewable energy sources; roots; silvicultural practices; stumps; timber production; tree crown; tree growth; trees; uncertainty; weathering; Show all 31 Subjects
- ... Intensive forestry practices, defined as the additional removal of tree tops, branches, and sometimes stumps, have helped nations meet renewable energy goals, but can also deplete long-term base cation (i.e. Ca, Mg, and K) pools in forest mineral soils. Decreasing pools of base cations (BC) are of great concern in forest areas that became acidified during the 1970s and 1980s and have recently star ...