Jump to Main Content
- Patrick J.C. White; Philip Warren; David Baines
- Forest ecology and management 2013 v.308 pp. 145-152
- grouse, etc ; Tetrao; agricultural land; forest habitats; forestry; forests; heathlands; issues and policy; planting; treeline; Scotland; Show all 11 Subjects
- ... Increasing forest cover has been the policy of various countries in recent decades. The Scottish government aims to increase national forest cover from 18% to 25% by 2050. Mid-altitude upland areas above farmland and below the natural tree line will be targeted for planting, which could impact black grouse Tetrao tetrix, a species of conservation concern which is most abundant in this zone. We ...
- Alice Broome; Thomas Connolly; Christopher P. Quine
- Forest ecology and management 2014 v.314 pp. 94-103
- grouse, etc ; plantations; forests; felling; Tetrao urogallus; flora; information management; Vaccinium myrtillus; planting; woodlands; Vaccinium vitis-idaea; Pinus sylvestris; shrubs; age structure; forest litter; environmental factors; timber production; Calluna vulgaris; stand basal area; habitats; Scotland; Show all 21 Subjects
- ... for capercaillie (Tetrao urogallus), a large forest grouse of considerable conservation interest throughout Europe. Old, semi-natural Scots pine woodland is considered its prime habitat in Scotland, although this is limited in area compared to twentieth century planted forests. Action to manipulate environmental conditions within Scots pine plantations by altering light levels to favour bilberry through thinning ...