Jump to Main Content
- Broome, Alice; Connolly, Thomas; Quine, Christopher P.
- Forest ecology and management 2014 v.314 pp. 94-103
- grouse, etc ; plantations; forests; felling; Tetrao urogallus; flora; information management; Vaccinium myrtillus; planting; woodlands; Vaccinium vitis-idaea; Pinus sylvestris; shrubs; age structure; forest litter; environmental factors; timber production; Calluna vulgaris; stand basal area; habitats; Scotland; Show all 21 Subjects
- ... In Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris) forests the composition of the ground flora can be affected by the amount of light reaching the forest floor, influencing the balance between the three common ericaceous shrubs bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus), cowberry (Vacciniumvitis-idaea) and heather (Calluna vulgaris). A pinewood ground flora with more than 20% bilberry cover is considered good habitat for caper ...
- White, Patrick J.C.; Warren, Philip; Baines, David
- Forest ecology and management 2013 v.308 pp. 145-152
- grouse, etc ; Tetrao; agricultural land; forest habitats; forestry; forests; heathlands; issues and policy; planting; treeline; Scotland; Show all 11 Subjects
- ... Increasing forest cover has been the policy of various countries in recent decades. The Scottish government aims to increase national forest cover from 18% to 25% by 2050. Mid-altitude upland areas above farmland and below the natural tree line will be targeted for planting, which could impact black grouse Tetrao tetrix, a species of conservation concern which is most abundant in this zone. We use ...