Jump to Main Content
- Michael K. Crosby; Zhaofei Fan; Martin A. Spetich; Theodor D. Leininger; Xingang Fan
- Forestry chronicle 2015 v.91 no.4 pp. 376-383
- climate change; climatic factors; dieback; drought; ecoregions; ecosystems; forest health; forest types; hardwood; models; monitoring; regression analysis; trees
- ... In the southeastern United States, drought can pose a significant threat to forests by reducing the amount of available water, thereby stressing trees. Destructive changes in crown conditions provide the first visible indication of a problem in a forested area, making it a useful indicator for problems within an ecosystem. Forest Health and Monitoring (FHM) and Palmer's Drought Severity Index (PDS ...
- Gonthier, Paolo; Giordano, Luana; Nicolotti, Giovanni
- Forestry chronicle 2010 v.86 no.1 pp. 110-117
- forest decline; forest trees; montane forests; drought tolerance; disease control; climatic factors; water stress; Pinus sylvestris; dendrochronology; dieback; tree mortality; disease incidence; Italy
- ... Since the beginning of the 1990s, significant mortality of Scots pine trees has been observed in inner valleys of the Alps. The objectives of this work were to investigate and describe the aetiology of a Scots pine dieback in the Aosta Valley (western Italian Alps) in 2005. Surveys were conducted in three forest stands. Crown transparency was assessed to evaluate the incidence and severity of dieb ...