Jump to Main Content
- Nielsen, Cathy; Van Dyke, Olesia; Pedlar, John
- Forestry chronicle 2003 v.79 no.1 pp. 70-74
- hardwood forests, etc ; basal area; conifers; hardwood; ice; ice damage; landowners; stand composition; storm damage; trees; Ontario; Show all 11 Subjects
- ... The 1998 ice storm caused damage to forests across much of eastern North America. One of the information needs expressed by landowners and the broader forest community in eastern Ontario was an assessment of the effect of past management on degree of damage in hardwood stands. Ice storm damage was assessed in managed and unmanaged permanent sample plots established prior to the ice storm. In addit ...
- Wiedenbeck, Jan; Smith, Kevin T.
- Forestry chronicle 2018 v.94 no.3 pp. 292-306
- hardwood forests, etc ; economic valuation; forest management; foresters; hardwood; harvesting; prescribed burning; roots; stems; tree trunk; trees; wood quality; Show all 12 Subjects
- ... Hardwood forest management practices may wound trees and initiate defects that reduce wood quality and value. Damage to the lower bole of residual stems during harvest operations has been heavily researched. Wounding from prescribed fire has been the subject of more recent studies. Injuries caused by harvesting and prescribed fire activities to tree roots and crowns are in shorter supply. Also, th ...