Jump to Main Content
- Collins, Luke; Penman, Trent; Ximenes, Fabiano de Aquino; Binns, Doug; York, Alan; Bradstock, Ross
- Forests 2014 v.5 no.4 pp. 802-821
- Eucalyptus; biomass; burning; carbon; carbon sequestration; carbon sinks; demography; fire frequency; forest ecosystems; overstory; regrowth; survival rate; temperate forests; trees; understory; Australia
- ... The management of forest ecosystems to increase carbon storage is a global concern. Fire frequency has the potential to shift considerably in the future. These shifts may alter demographic processes and growth of tree species, and consequently carbon storage in forests. Examination of the sensitivity of forest carbon to the potential upper and lower extremes of fire frequency will provide crucial ...
- Zhao, Weiwei; Blauw, Luke G.; van Logtestijn, Richard S. P.; Cornwell, William K.; Cornelissen, Johannes H. C.
- Forests 2014 v.5 no.4 pp. 827-846
- biosphere; branches; burning; carbon sequestration; climate; drying; fire spread; flammability; forest fires; forests; fuels (fire ecology); rain; trees; water content; wood degradation
- ... Fire is nearly ubiquitous in the terrestrial biosphere, with profound effects on earth surface carbon storage, climate, and forest functions. Fuel quality is an important parameter determining forest fire behavior, which differs among both tree species and organs. Fuel quality is not static: when dead plant material decomposes, its structural, chemical, and water dynamic properties change, with im ...