Jump to Main Content
- Fang, ZhiQiang; Bao, WeiKai; Yan, XiaoLi; Liu, Xin
- Forests 2014 v.5 no.4 pp. 715-743
- Picea; canopy; clearcutting; conifers; deciduous forests; ferns and fern allies; forest land; natural regeneration; old-growth forests; plantations; reforestation; seedlings; shrubs; species diversity; trees; understory; vascular plants; China
- ... The active effect of natural regeneration on understory vegetation and diversity on clear-cut forestlands, in contrast to conifer reforestation, is still controversial. Here we investigated differences in understory vegetation by comparing naturally regenerated deciduous forests (NR) and reforested spruce plantations (SP) aged 20–40 years on 12 similar clear-cuts of subalpine old-growth spruce-fir ...
- Fettig, Christopher J.; Gibson, Kenneth E.; Munson, A. Steven; Negrón, Jose F.
- Forests 2014 v.5 no.4 pp. 822-826
- Dendroctonus ponderosae; age structure; forests; insecticides; issues and policy; landscapes; prescribed burning; probability; sanitation; semiochemicals; species diversity; trees; Western United States
- ... There are two general approaches for reducing the negative impacts of mountain pine beetle, Dendroctonus ponderosae Hopkins, on forests. Direct control involves short-term tactics designed to address current infestations by manipulating mountain pine beetle populations, and includes the use of fire, insecticides, semiochemicals, sanitation harvests, or a combination of these treatments. Indirect c ...