Jump to Main Content
- Nunes Biral, Vanessa C.; Will, Rodney E.; Zou, Chris B.
- Forests 2019 v.10 no.4
- Juniperus virginiana, etc ; Quercus marilandica; aboveground biomass; canopy; carbon sequestration; carbon sinks; ecosystems; fruits; grasses; leaves; plant litter; soil heterogeneity; soil organic carbon; spatial variation; tallgrass prairies; trees; Oklahoma; Show all 17 Subjects
- ... The establishment of trees in grasslands alters ecosystem processes and services. Litter inputs shift from herbaceous to tree-derived, which affects the litter quantity and quality and may in turn alter soil carbon dynamics and ecosystem-level carbon sequestration. This study determined changes in the quantity of organic matter inputs following encroachment by two native tree species (Quercus mari ...
- Hoff, Daniel L.; Will, Rodney E.; Zou, Chris B.; Lillie, Nathan D.
- Forests 2018 v.9 no.2
- Juniperus virginiana, etc ; Carya; Celtis; Quercus marilandica; Quercus stellata; Ulmus; deciduous forests; drought; hardwood; overstory; risk; seedlings; stand density; tree and stand measurements; trees; wildfires; Great Plains region; Oklahoma; Show all 18 Subjects
- ... Cross Timbers forests, typically dominated by Quercus stellata Wangenh. and Q. marilandica Muenchh., are the transition zone between eastern deciduous forest and prairie in the southern Great Plains. Fire exclusion beginning in the mid-1900s has led to increasing stand density and encroachment of fire-intolerant Juniperus virginiana L. and mesic hardwood. We measured current forest structure and t ...