Jump to Main Content
- Volder, Astrid; Anderson, Laurel J.; Smart, David R.; Bloom, Arnold J.; Lakso, Alan N.; Eissenstat, David M.
- Functional plant biology 2009 v.36 no.7 pp. 621-628
- Solanum lycopersicum var. lycopersicum; tomatoes; roots; root systems; container-grown plants; nitrogen; nutrient uptake; plant nutrition; temporal variation; biogeochemical cycles; stable isotopes; nitrate nitrogen; environmental factors; Vitis vinifera; grapes; plant age
- ... We only have a limited understanding of the nutrient uptake physiology of individual roots as they age. Despite this shortcoming, the importance of nutrient uptake processes to our understanding of plant nutrition and nutrient cycling cannot be underestimated. In this study, we used a ¹⁵N depletion method that allowed for the measurement of nitrate-N uptake rates on intact, individual, fine roots ...
- Greer, Dennis H.; Sicard, Sylvie M.
- Functional plant biology 2009 v.36 no.7 pp. 645-653
- Vitis vinifera; grapes; environmental factors; plant stress; plant growth; dry matter accumulation; leaves; fruits (plant anatomy); photosynthesis; allometry; carbon sequestration; plant development; budbreak; dry matter partitioning; nutrient reserves; stems
- ... Assessing the impacts of environmental stresses on plant growth and productivity requires an understanding of the growth processes and the carbon economy that underpins this growth. Potted grapevines of the Vitis vinifera L. cv. Semillon were grown in a controlled environment and canopy growth; leaf, bunch and stem extension and net photosynthesis were routinely measured from budbreak to harvest. ...