Jump to Main Content
- Neves, Elizabeth Gerardo; Andrade, Sónia Cristina S.; da Silveira, Fábio Lang; Solferini, Vera Nisaka
- Genetica 2008 v.132 no.3 pp. 243-254
- Scleractinia; coasts; corals; gene flow; genetic variation; inbreeding; larvae; loci; Brazil
- ... Siderastrea stellata and S. radians are scleractinian coral species that present a remarkable overlap of diagnostic characteristics and sympatric distribution. Moreover, both are viviparous with similar reproductive strategies and with a gregarious larval behavior. Samples of both species from the Brazilian coast were analyzed using 18 isozymic loci to quantify their genetic variability and popula ...
- Rodríguez-Muñoz, Rolando; Bretman, Amanda; Hadfield, Jarrod D.; Tregenza, Tom
- Genetica 2008 v.132 no.3 pp. 287-294
- Gryllus bimaculatus; breeding; females; genes; genetic variance; genetic variation; males; maternal effect; mating behavior; paternity; phenotypic variation; progeny; sexual selection; variance
- ... Recent studies have suggested that females of the field cricket Gryllus bimaculatus exercise post-copulatory choice over the paternity of their offspring. There is evidence that these choices are made in relation to the genetic compatibility of mates rather than their absolute quality, but the magnitude of heritable differences in males has not been thoroughly examined. Using a half-sib breeding d ...