Jump to Main Content
- Behzad, Hayedeh; Gojobori, Takashi; Mineta, Katsuhiko
- Genome Biology and Evolution 2015 v.7 no.5 pp. 1216-1226
- air; atmospheric chemistry; biochemical pathways; biogeochemical cycles; bioremediation; climate; community structure; ecosystems; genes; habitats; human health; metagenomics; microbial communities; microorganisms; sequence analysis; soil
- ... Recent metagenomic studies of environments, such as marine and soil, have significantly enhanced our understanding of the diverse microbial communities living in these habitats and their essential roles in sustaining vast ecosystems. The increase in the number of publications related to soil and marine metagenomics is in sharp contrast to those of air, yet airborne microbes are thought to have sig ...
- Dean, Rebecca; Zimmer, Fabian; Mank, Judith E.
- Genome Biology and Evolution 2015 v.7 no.2 pp. 636-641
- Caenorhabditis elegans; X chromosome; chickens; genes; humans; mitochondria
- ... Two taxa studied to date, the therian mammals and Caenorhabditis elegans , display underrepresentations of mitonuclear genes (mt-N genes, nuclear genes whose products are imported to and act within the mitochondria) on their X chromosomes. This pattern has been interpreted as the result of sexual conflict driving mt-N genes off of the X chromosome. However, studies in several other species have fa ...
- Del Vasto, Michael; Figueroa-Martinez, Francisco; Featherston, Jonathan; González, Mariela A.; Reyes-Prieto, Adrian; Durand, Pierre M.; Smith, David Roy
- Genome Biology and Evolution 2015 v.7 no.3 pp. 656-663
- Dunaliella; algae; eukaryotic cells; genes; genetic variation; mitochondria; mitochondrial DNA; mitochondrial genome; mutation; plastid genome
- ... The mitochondrial genomes of chlamydomonadalean green algae are renowned for their highly reduced and conserved gene repertoires, which are almost fixed at 12 genes across the entire lineage. The sizes of these genomes, however, are much more variable, with some species having small, compact mitochondrial DNAs (mtDNAs) and others having expanded ones. Earlier work demonstrated that the halophilic ...