Jump to Main Content
- Van Ranst, E.; Mees, F.; De Grave, E.; Ye, L.; Cornelis, J.-T.; Delvaux, B.
- Geoderma 2019 v.347 pp. 244-251
- Andosols; B horizons; Bacillus thuringiensis; Umbrisols; altitude; dissolved organic matter; gibbsite; goethite; hematite; iron; kaolinite; mountains; pH; rain; soil organic matter; spectroscopy; vegetation; weathering; Cameroon
- ... The accumulation of soil organic matter (SOM), poorly crystalline Fe oxides and metal-humus complexes is a trait of non-allophanic Andosols. The process of andosolization, which may occur in ferrallitic soils with high organic matter content, can involve transformation from well crystallized Fe oxides to poorly crystallized Fe oxides and Fe-humus complexes. This study investigates such changes in ...
- James, Jason N.; Gross, Cole D.; Dwivedi, Pranjal; Myers, Tyler; Santos, Fernanda; Bernardi, Rodolpho; Faria, Marianne Fidalgo de; Guerrini, Iraê Amaral; Harrison, Rob; Butman, David
- Geoderma 2019 v.345 pp. 38-50
- B horizons; Eucalyptus; Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy; Oxisols; biodegradability; biogeochemical cycles; cation exchange; cerrado; ecotones; forest stands; forests; hydrophobic bonding; land use change; microbial biomass; microorganisms; moieties; nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy; plantations; rooting; silviculture; soil minerals; soil organic matter; soil profiles; subsurface soil layers; trees; understory; water solubility; Brazil
- ... The Brazilian Cerrado has undergone extensive land-use change in the past century with large areas converted to agriculture and silviculture. Eucalyptus is the dominant planted tree species in Brazil, but the short rotations (6–7 years) and the associated soil disturbances can reduce soil organic matter (SOM), particularly in subsurface soil over long timeframes. SOM is critical to the continued p ...