Jump to Main Content
- O’Donnell, Sean T.; Rittmann, Bruce E.; Kavazanjian, Edward
- Geomicrobiology journal 2019 v.36 no.6 pp. 543-558
- Brevundimonas; Pseudomonas; Rhizobiaceae; acetates; calcite; calcium; carbonates; crystals; denitrification; denitrifying bacteria; gas production (biological); nitrate reduction; nitrates; nitrites; pH; pollution load; ribosomal DNA; sequence analysis; soil
- ... Three continuous-flow column experiments were conducted to investigate the effects of nitrate loading rate and input concentrations of acetate and calcium on the effectiveness of denitrification to promote microbially induced desaturation and precipitation (MIDP). MIDP differs from microbially induced carbonate precipitation (MICP) in that it relies upon desaturation by biogenic gas production, al ...
- Kalantary, Farzin; Abbasi Govanjik, Dariush; Safdari Seh Gonbad, Mahdi
- Geomicrobiology journal 2019 v.36 no.6 pp. 533-542
- bacteria; calcite; compression strength; culture media; desertification; drought; dry season; dust; hydrolysis; saline soils; salinity; salt content; salt lakes; salt tolerance; sand; sandy soils; soil stabilization; urea; water harvesting; wind erosion; West Asia
- ... Prolonged droughts and excessive water harvesting in western Asia has accelerated desertification and caused longer dry seasons of salt lakes. The Aral Sea experience has proven that dust from saline soil is a serious health issue. Various stabilization techniques to reduce wind erosion have been used in the past. However, in recent years, a potentially viable method has been developed; microbial ...