Jump to Main Content
- Law, B.E.; Turner, D.; Campbell, J.; Sun, O.J.; Van Tuyl, S.; Ritts, W.D.; Cohen, W.B.
- Global change biology 2004 v.10 no.9 pp. 1429
- coniferous forests; carbon sequestration; primary productivity; global carbon budget; biogeochemical cycles; simulation models; ecoregions; spatial variation; climatic factors; climate change; remote sensing; spatial data; data analysis; vegetation cover; forest stands; age structure; leaf area index; soil organic carbon; source-sink relationships; forest fires; Oregon; Cascade Mountain region
- ... We used a spatially nested hierarchy of field and remote-sensing observations and a process model, Biome-BGC, to produce a carbon budget for the forested region of Oregon, and to determine the relative influence of differences in climate and disturbance among the ecoregions on carbon stocks and fluxes. The simulations suggest that annual net uptake (net ecosystem production (NEP)) for the whole fo ...
- Kaakinen, S.; Kostiainen, K.; Ek, F.; Saranpaa, P.; Kubiske, M.E.; Sober, J.; Karnosky, D.F.; Vapaavuori, E.
- Global change biology 2004 v.10 no.9 pp. 1513
- wood properties; forest trees; Populus tremuloides; Betula papyrifera; Acer saccharinum; carbon dioxide; ozone; greenhouse gases; elevated atmospheric gases; stems; cell walls; cellulose; hemicellulose; lignin; wood fibers; xylem vessels; wood anatomy; wood chemistry; chemical composition; climate change; climatic factors
- ... The aim of this study was to examine the effects of elevated carbon dioxide [CO2] and ozone [O3] and their interaction on wood chemistry and anatomy of five clones of 3-year-old trembling aspen (Populus tremuloides Michx.). Wood chemistry was studied also on paper birch (Betula papyrifera Marsh.) and sugar maple (Acer saccharum Marsh.) seedling-origin saplings of the same age. Material for the stu ...