Jump to Main Content
- MILCHUNAS, DANIEL G., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Global change biology 2007 v.13 no.10 pp. 2193-2205
- bioactive properties; carbon dioxide enrichment; carbon nitrogen ratio; dry environmental conditions; ecosystems; field experimentation; lignin; polysaccharides; steppes; summer; ultraviolet radiation
- ... We examined the effect of altered levels of ultraviolet (UV) radiation (280-400 nm) and different amounts of precipitation on the decomposition rates of litter of contrasting carbon to nitrogen ratio (C : N) in a 3-year field experiment in a shortgrass steppe (SGS) ecosystem. UV radiation was either blocked or passed under clear plastic tents where precipitation was applied to simulate a very dry ...
- MILCHUNAS, DANIEL G., et al. Show all 14 Authors
- Global change biology 2007 v.13 no.2 pp. 313-341
- canopy; climate; ecosystems; forbs; global change; graminoids; grazing; herbivores; legumes; life history; meta-analysis; models; palatability; perennials; provenance; ungulates; vegetation
- ... Herbivory by domestic and wild ungulates is a major driver of global vegetation dynamics. However, grazing is not considered in dynamic global vegetation models, or more generally in studies of the effects of environmental change on ecosystems at regional to global scale. An obstacle to this is a lack of empirical tests of several hypotheses linking plant traits with grazing. We, therefore, set ou ...