Jump to Main Content
- Bäumle, Roland; Himmelsbach, Thomas
- Grundwasser 2018 v.23 no.1 pp. 29-45
- aquifers; basins; fossils; freshwater; groundwater; hydrologic cycle; rivers; tectonics; Angola; Namibia
- ... Unlike fossil groundwater reserves, semi-fossil aquifers are still integrated in the hydrological cycle and hence, partially renewable. In Africa, semi-fossil aquifers provide an important freshwater resource that is not yet fully explored. Two recently discovered, deep porous aquifers in the northern parts of the Kalahari Basin are currently investigated, namely the Ohangwena II (KOH-2) aquifer i ...
- Beyer, Matthias; Gaj, Marcel; Königer, Paul; Tulimeveva Hamutoko, Josefina; Wanke, Heike; Wallner, Markus; Himmelsbach, Thomas
- Grundwasser 2018 v.23 no.1 pp. 73-90
- climatic factors; deuterium oxide; groundwater; groundwater recharge; rain; soil water; stable isotopes; vegetation; water vapor; wet season; Namibia
- ... The estimation of groundwater recharge in water-limited environments is challenging due to climatic conditions, the occurrence of deep unsaturated zones, and specialized vegetation. We critically examined two methods based on stable isotopes of soil water: (i) the interpretation of natural isotope depth-profiles and subsequent approximation of recharge using empirical relationships and (ii) the us ...