Jump to Main Content
- Rhodes, Lesley; Smith, Kirsty F.; Verma, Arjun; Curley, Belinda G.; Harwood, D. Tim; Murray, Sam; Kohli, Gurjeet S.; Solomona, Dorothy; Rongo, Teina; Munday, Rex; Murray, Shauna A.
- Harmful algae 2017 v.65 pp. 61-70
- Gambierdiscus; ciguatoxin; epiphytes; intraperitoneal injection; islands; macroalgae; maitotoxin; mice; new species; phylogeny; toxicity; Cook Islands
- ... Two isolates of a new tropical, epiphytic dinoflagellate species, Gambierdiscus honu sp. nov., were obtained from macroalgae sampled in Rarotonga, Cook Islands, and from North Meyer Island, Kermadec Islands. Gambierdiscus honu sp. nov. had the common Gambierdiscus Kofoidian plate formula: Po, 3′, 6″, 6C?, 6 or 7S, 5‴, 1p and 2⁗. The characteristic morphological features of this species were its re ...
- Sparrow, Leanne; Momigliano, Paolo; Russ, Garry R.; Heimann, Kirsten
- Harmful algae 2017 v.65 pp. 52-60
- Gambierdiscus; Prorocentrum; ciguatera; coculture; coral bleaching; coral reefs; environmental factors; experimental design; macroalgae; population growth; salinity; temperature; toxicity; Australia; Great Barrier Reef
- ... Increases in reported incidence of ciguatera fish poisoning (hereafter ciguatera) have been linked to warmer sea temperatures that are known to trigger coral bleaching events. The drivers that trigger blooms of ciguatera-causing dinoflagellates on the Great Barrier Reef (GBR) are poorly understood. This study investigated the effects of increased temperatures and lowered salinities, often associat ...