Jump to Main Content
- Ma, Zengling; Wu, Mingjiang; Lin, Lidong; Thring, Ronald W.; Yu, Hengguo; Zhang, Xu; Zhao, Min
- Harmful algae 2017 v.65 pp. 19-26
- Karenia; adults; algal blooms; allelopathy; chlorophyll; coastal water; electron transfer; leaves; macroalgae; mariculture; photochemistry; photosynthesis; sporophytes; East China Sea
- ... The effects of algal blooms on seaweeds have been rarely studied, although harmful algal blooms (HABs) are now normally regarded as worldwide incidents. In the present study, the effects of dense Karenia mikimotoi cells on the growth and photosynthesis of Hizikia fusiformis, a common and commercially cultivated macroalga in coastal waters of the East China Sea (ECS), were studied to understand the ...
- Yang, Jingjing; Gao, Han; Glibert, Patricia M.; Wang, Yu; Tong, Mengmeng
- Harmful algae 2017 v.65 pp. 71-84
- Cyanobacteria; algal blooms; ammonium compounds; biogeochemical cycles; carbon; ecology; nitrates; nitrogen; pH; phosphates; physiology; phytoplankton; summer; urea; China
- ... Lake Taihu has suffered an increasing number of cyanobacteria harmful algal blooms (CyanoHABs) over the past three decades, bringing about formidable ecological and economical losses. Efforts to control phosphate (P) and/or nitrogen (N) have been applied to mitigate these blooms, but there has been much less attention paid to N and its different forms on the ecology of the blooms. Therefore, kinet ...