Jump to Main Content
- Simic, Karlo; Gendvilas, Vilius; O’Reilly, Conor; Harte, Annette M.
- Holzforschung 2019 v.73 no.2 pp. 139-149
- Picea sitchensis; acoustics; bending strength; models; modulus of elasticity; prediction; trees; wood; Ireland
- ... In Ireland, most structural timber from Sitka spruce (Picea sitchensis [Bong.] Carr.) is machine graded into C16 strength class. However, timber from early thinnings is mostly used for non-structural applications. There is an increased demand for structural timber, and timber from young trees could contribute to wood supply. However, this timber has lower mechanical properties than mature timber. ...
- Hogger, Elfriede; Bauer, Klaus; Höllbacher, Eva; Gierlinger, Notburga; Konnerth, Johannes; van Herwijnen, Hendrikus W.G.
- Holzforschung 2019 v.73 no.2 pp. 165-170
- Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy; ammonia; color; emissions; furniture; least squares; models; odors; prediction; reflectance; reflectance spectroscopy; resins; wood
- ... The ongoing preference for dark colours in parquet and furniture is a driving force for colour modification of bright wood species. The treatment of oak wood with gaseous ammonia (fuming) leads to dark colours, but residual ammonia in the wood may lead to bonding failures with resins, odour nuisance and thus customer complaints. The focus of the present paper is the determination and emission of r ...