Jump to Main Content
- Saraiva, Jorge Alexandre, et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Industrial crops and products 2013 v.43 pp. 587-595
- foods; Coriandrum sativum; Salmonella Typhimurium; essential oils; chemical compounds; Pseudomonas putida; Shewanella putrefaciens; absorbance; industry; Listeria monocytogenes; Escherichia coli; spoilage; minimum inhibitory concentration; Listeria innocua; Brochothrix thermosphacta; rosemary; growth retardation; antioxidant activity; antibacterial properties; chemical composition; cloves; thyme; free radical scavengers; bacteria
- ... The aim of this work was to determine the effectiveness of 17 essential oils to inhibit the growth of seven food-borne spoilage and pathogenic bacterial strains (Brochothrix thermosphacta, Escherichia coli, Listeria innocua, Listeria monocytogenes, Pseudomonas putida, Salmonella typhimurium and Shewanella putrefaciens). Additionally, the antioxidant activity (by free radical scavenging activity an ...
- Saraiva, Jorge Alexandre, et al. Show all 10 Authors
- Industrial crops and products 2012 v.36 no.1 pp. 81-87
- Mentha pulegium; antibacterial properties; antioxidant activity; bacteria; chemical composition; cold; essential oils; food additives; food industry; menthone; phenol; spoilage; Portugal
- ... There is a growing interest of industry to replace synthetic chemicals by natural products with bioactive properties from plant origin. The aim of this study was to determine the chemical composition of European pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium) essential oil and to characterize the in vitro antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of its water (hot and cold) and ethanolic extracts and of the essential ...