Jump to Main Content
- Allen, Louise E.; Barry, Katherine L.; Holwell, Gregory I.
- Insect science 2014 v.21 no.2 pp. 227-233
- Mantodea; adulthood; adults; dimorphism; females; instars; males; molting; reproduction; tropics
- ... Sexual size dimorphism (SSD) is widespread among diverse animal taxa and has attracted the attention of evolutionary biologists for over a century. SSD is likely to be adaptive and the result of divergent selection on different size optima for males and females, given their different roles in reproduction. The developmental trajectory leading to SSD may help us to understand how selection acts on ...
- Wan, Pin‐Jun; Lü, Dong; Guo, Wen‐Chao; Ahmat, Tursun; Yang, Lu; Mu, Li‐Li; Li, Guo‐Qing
- Insect science 2014 v.21 no.2 pp. 147-158
- Leptinotarsa decemlineata; adults; autumn; complementary DNA; energy; flight; genes; genomics; hemolymph; ingestion; insects; instars; larvae; messenger RNA; metabolism; molecular cloning; overwintering; potatoes; proline; proteins; pupae; spring; summer
- ... Leptinotarsa decemlineata adults exhibit a season‐dependent activity. In spring, post‐diapause beetles often fly a long distance from overwintering sites to potato fields. In summer and autumn, the flight ability is sharply reduced. Proline is the main energy substrate of L. decemlineata during flight and proline dehydrogenase (ProDH) catalyzes the first step in proline catabolism. Here we identif ...