Jump to Main Content
- Ruano, F.; Lenoir, A.; Silvestre, M.; Khalil, A.; Tinaut, A.
- Insectes sociaux 2019 v.66 no.2 pp. 223-233
- Formica; alkanes; allopatry; esters; host-parasite relationships; hosts; nests; parasites; social insects; sympatry
- ... The aim of this paper is to describe the relationship between two ant species, Formica frontalis and Iberoformica subrufa, found together in shared nests. Therefore, we obtained data from dug nests and outdoor activity in two sympatric populations and investigated the cuticular hydrocarbons (CHCs) in both sympatric populations and in 10 I. subrufa allopatric populations to unravel whether the rela ...
- Smith, Adrian A.
- Insectes sociaux 2019 v.66 no.2 pp. 211-222
- Formica; Odontomachus brunneus; aggression; chemical ecology; descriptive studies; indigenous species; intraspecific variation; natural history; nests; phenotype; predators; social insects; Florida
- ... Formica ants are not known to be prey specialists on other ant species, however, for the past 60 years, field observations on Formica archboldi in the southeastern United States have noted that their nests are scattered with body parts of Odontomachus trap-jaw ants. This study investigates the relationship between F. archboldi and Odontomachus. Through a series of behavioral experiments and a desc ...